Hey all, haven't posted in a while. I have a question for you all. I love backpacking, but have not been able to do it in a little while due to school and time. I am going to buy a new multi-day backpack. I have been looking around online, and then I figured that I would ask your opinion! So, do any of you do any backpacking? If so, would you recommend a specific multi-day backpack that I should buy? Your opinion would be greatly appreciated:) Thankies!!


I think the newer internal frame packs are the way to go. They mold to the body keeping the center of gravity more normal, and with the newest fabrics, are not as hot as the older internals. Their capacity is a small or as large as you want. For weekend trips 2200-2600 cu in, for longer, up to 6600 cu in (my largest is 6600 cu in, it holds EVERYTHING including the kitchen sink). I can't really give you any specific brands, I bought my last ones 20+ years ago and they are still 100% serviceable. Go to an REI, or other camping store. Take about 30 pounds of water in bottles (4 gallons should suffice), and try on packs until you find one that fits the most comfortably. Make them bend the frames to fit you. Hip belt should be on the hip bones. The padded shoulder straps should curve around the top of the shoulders, but the load straps that carry the load should be level or slant upwards so the weight of the pack is on the hips - you really shouldn't feel the load on your shoulders at all. Come on down to VA one weekend, we got three huge chains that sell them (REI, Blue Ridge Mountain Sports, and Dick's Sporting Goods). Lots of choices.
ReplyDeleteJay in VA
Oh, thirty years in the BSA, and 36 camping, caving, climbing, backpacking, etc., I've done some outdoors stuff.
ReplyDeleteJay in VA
there you go kid!! What Jay said!! lol My outdoor adventures have been limited in recent years... I'll likely be more involved as the newer generation gets old enough to participate!! luv, tman<3
ReplyDelete